Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"Buyer's Remorse"

Definition: Buyer's remorse is an emotional condition whereby a person feels remorse or regret after a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of higher value items such as property, cars, computers, jewelry, etc. The common condition is brought on by an internal sense of doubt that the correct decision has been made. (From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)



Well - I'm using this term to apply to my acceptance of a new position at work. Yeah I got a $7,000/yr raise and they created the position specifically for me - but you know what I'm beginning to regret my acceptance.



To start with everyone in the bank agrees that this needs to be done and that I'm the person for the job. However, where do I belong? HR doesn't want me, Finance/Acctg isn't the best fit and neither would one of the main departments. Ironically my job will entail me coordinating with ALL of these departments to insure that incentive compensation is paid correctly and getting the desired results.

Then there's the new system being put in place to hold the calculations, etc. I'm being told my piece for one plan must be ready to go live by Jan 1, 2008.......W.T.F.??? I have been upfront telling them that my piece would not be ready until after the first quarter 2008. Also, why is it MIS dictating when I need to have my stuff done?

Lastly I have more to do and I doubt I'm going to get the resources to get everything accomplished in a timely manner. Basically I could work 60-70hr weeks from now until the end of the year and I still won't be any where near where I would need to be to do this job by myself. I honestly need some help, but I probably won't get it.

In the long-run if I can keep above water this will be a great opportunity - but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep above water if I can't get some help and this has me stressed. So if you've got one.....throw me a life perserver!!

No comments: