Thursday, June 05, 2008

Public Transportation Etiquette

Since moving to the burbs of the big city I started riding the bus to work. It's nice. The park 'n ride is a mile from my house, and the bus only takes about 5-7 minutes longer than had I drove the commute myself.

When I first started riding in Sept. 2007 all 3 bus times on my route always had enough seats so that everyone could sit down. However, with the soaring gas prices the number of riders has at least doubled. Not only the buses home, but the ones into work do we have people standing.

Were am I going with this you might ask?? Etiquette on the bus. Most mornings and afternoons you will always find a few gentlemen willing to give up their seat to the ladies. What I've noticed is that most of these gentlemen are over 35. Hardly ever does a younger man give up his seat. At first I thought this rude and disrespectful. Now I've settled on how sad it is that his mother nor father never took the time to teach him about respecting others. What makes this even sadder is that there's a whole generation of them.

I've always vowed to raise my son's to be good husbands, but now I realize my mission has changed: I want them to be good human beings.

Note: I've never seen anyone ask someone else to give up their seat....these men do it out of the kindness of their hearts and I always thank them profussly.

No comments: