Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Zucchini, zucchini and more zucchini

For the past 3wks we've been getting zucchini from CSA.  I'm not much of a squash fan, but we have grilled/broiled some and had it with spaghetti.  However I can only each so much.  So this lead me to the internet to start my quest for a zucchini bread recipe.  Luckily I'm smart and I went straight to Food Network and Paula Deen.  I was not disappointed - she did indeed have a Zucchini Bread Recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/zucchini-bread-recipe/index.html

I've made this twice and both times it's turned out fantastic.  Do need to point out some of the small modifications I made based upon the comments:
1.  Did not add the water as I did not thoroughly dry the shredded zucchini
2.  Reduced the total sugar to 2.5 cups with 1.5 cups being white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar
3.  Thoroughly spray your pan w/PAM or other non-stick spray
4.  I put in 3 cups of shredded zucchini
5.  Added 1/2-1 teaspoon of Baking Powder (in addition to the baking soda)
6.  Added 1/2-1 teaspoon of Ground Ginger
7.  Added a tablespoon of vanilla extract

Did want to point out that this is a very dense bread, and it should be about the consistancy of chocolate chip cookie dough.  If it's too runny add some flour.  Also, I did end up baking mine at 335 for 90 minutes the 2nd time around.  The first time I followed the recipe and the top did sink in a bit - not this last time.

I will say that before I even added the zucchini I kept thinking of all the things I could add instead - dried cranberries, dried apricots, etc.  Heck it would be good w/o anything added.  Definitely will keep this recipe around - especially since K actually ate some this last time and couldn't believe how good it was.  We shared two slices - one w/butter and one w/cream cheese....it was a toss up which was better. 

Bonus:  this is what the kids had for breakfast this morning w/sausage and now one loaf is almost gone.  :D

No comments: