Friday, June 22, 2007

Finally an update

Tomorrow Baby A will be 4 weeks old. Hard to believe ain't it? What's harder to believe is that my maternity leave will be over in 6.5 weeks.

We're adjusting......I can handle all 3 for a few hours at a time if needed, but we still haven't gone anywhere further than 1 hour from our house. And even that trip we had to stop on the way home 'cause Baby A was hungry.

Am I the only one that sees traveling with an infant who is breastfeeding as a disadvantage? Seriously here....if she was bottle fed you can just keep driving and plop a bottle in her mouth...not so when breastfeeding. Well, guess I could but then I'd have to pump in the car and that seems just as annoying as stopping and feeding her straight from the boob.

I'm very surprised how well breastfeeding is going this time around. Seriously folks.....yeah we've got our latch on issues, but I actually seem to have a pretty good supply going. The only thing that has me worried is that she'll be up for 3-4 hours at a time (taking maybe 2-3 15 min cat naps in there) crying acting like she's hungry. I get her on the boob - which lasts just until letdown starts and then she pulls off and doesn't want it. Mostly does this to the right boob.....but will do it to the left as well. She does this about 3-4 nights a week.

I'm just afraid she's still hungry or has gas or something else weird is going on. We have her 1 mo check-up next week so I can ask then, but until then I'm trying not to worry as she's still having the recommended number of wet/dirty diapers a day.

Now I just need to start working on getting her days and nights in sync with the rest of the known world and all will be good. Having her sleep in her own bed at naps and night time would be nice too, but right now not having her awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night is all I'm asking for.

2 comments:

Mrs. Wheezer said...

I seem to recall that happening with both my girls (latching on until letdown). Have you tried burping her before latching her on? Gives her little tummy more room and ensures she's not fussing because of gas.

I think you're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Mayberrys said...

She might not like the fast flow....you might also want to try pumping first, through the initial let-down, and then putting her on when the "rush" is over for as long as she needs to get full.
That happened with T....it worked, AND helped me build up a freezer stash.