Monday, May 19, 2008

Poor little naive white girl

Yup, that's me. Even though I lived in a college town in the mid-west growing up I really didn't see much racism, etc. (Probably didn't help that the school I actually attended from K-12 was in a small town of 3,500 people.)

Moving to the 'burbs of Kansas City has been a definite eye opener. I absolutely only goto the closest Wal-Mart because there's so much racism on both sides of the fence from the employees and customers.

Then there's my new co-worker, H. Single mother of two, has a college degree, just bought her first house, and is catching onto her new job quiet quickly. She's been the one to really open my eyes about the stuff that goes on....especially here at work. You see, she's African American. And I use the term African American as that is what she prefers to be called. And yes, I did ask her.

Her youngest son just turned 2, and the party was this last Sunday. We were invited. I knew we were going to be the only "whites" there, and K even asked if I was sure I wanted to go knowing this. Yes, it was a little akward at first, but after the kids warmed up and started playing and we started chatting with everyone we fit right in. However, I'm dying to ask H what everyone thought. She took a vacation day today...rightfully so after all those people at her house yesterday afternoon.

Even though I am the Naive White girl....I think in the end it's going to be a good thing. I just might need a little more education from H, but yes in the end it will be a good thing.

No comments: