Sunday, September 02, 2007

Short, but sweet

The gravesite service yesterday for my grandmother was short, but sweet and not overly religious. I hate to admit this, but I honestly thought it would just family and one or two close friends. Was I wrong. Besides family (only 9 of us including the great-grandkids) there were at least 25 other people in attendance. Many people spoke up about what a wonderful woman, friend, person she was.

Made me realize I didn't really know my grandmother at all. Yes, I should've taken the time, but as a child she was always stand-offish - unaproachable almost. Unfortunately that feeling carried with me into adulthood. All of this has also made me very thankful for my own mother - as she's a wonderful grandmother.

Here's her obituary in the Lawrence Journal World:
http://www2.ljworld.com/obits/2007/sep/01/gertrude_coon/

No comments: