Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"Emma" by Jane Austen

I just finished this book after a month. Not that it's a slow read, but that's how long it has taken me to read this book on the bus to and from work. And during my three to four 10-15 minute pumping sessions at work.

I have to admit had I not seen the movie I probably would not have choosen this book out of the blue to read, but like "Sense and Sensibility" I loved the movie so I decided to read the book. Another confession is that thanks to the movie I did have a much better understanding of what was going on, as occasionally I would get lost or misunderstand the meaning of a phrase. But I always have this problem with period pieces.

I normally don't recommend seeing the movie first then reading the book, but in this case the movies sticks pretty close to the book and it did heighten my enjoyment of reading the book.

Anyhoo - off to find something else in my bookcase that I bought long ago to read but just haven't found the time. Irnoically all those years of driving I missed actually sitting down and reading a book that I started listening to books-on-tape, and now that I'm communting via public transportation I kinda miss the books-on-tape. Go figure.

No comments: