Monday, March 12, 2007

Ugggg.....blood tests

This is the one thing I absolutely hate about pregnancy......all the blood work. It's not that I hate needles per say....it's just that I have one good vein per arm and if you screw it up you ain't getting anything.

The point to this little blurb.....I did the 1 hour glucose test on Saturday morning. I made sure I drank plenty of water on the drive there and while waiting for the lab to call my name. First draw of blood was easy....the vein in my left arm cooperated. Drank that nasty orange stuff, tried not to puke and drank more water for the next hour. My hour came and went and the lab called me in.

This is where it gets fun. Tried the one good vein on my right arm....nothing. Tried another....nothing. Do you see where this is going? Anyhoo - about 10 needle pricks later on both arms the lab tech thinks she has enough - the vein she found to cooperate colapsed. I'm not a very religous person - but at this point I was praying to God that it was enough. I was also praying that 1) I passed the 1 hour test, or 2) if I do have to come back and do the 3 hour that she's not there.

So - luckily it got colder on Saturday as the day went on so I put on a long-sleeve shirt to hide all of my "track marks".

Oh - and I don't understand people who don't listen. I told her that if the right arm doesn't work she needed to go back to the good vein on the left arm. As you can see above she didn't listen.....even then when she finally got a vein to cooperate.

No comments: